Friday 29 January 2010

Bumping into new problems in Fungiland



I'm having a difficult time!

I printed a wood engraving block on a thin Gampi rice paper a few weeks ago, because I couldn't print it too well with smooth rag papers. I thought I would print it and do chin colle ( It's a technique that an image is impressed onto a thin sheet of rice paper which is backed by a stronger, thicker rag paper, usually used for intaglio prints).
I never usually do this technique for relief such as woodblock or lino prints but rice paper can take impression so much better than regular paper so I couldn't resist.



I put thinned rice glue on the back of the paper. I could tell the glue was already making the paper too wet because it is so thin like tissue.



Getting rid of excess glue. I had to be really careful not to tear the paper, the paper's obviously way too thin.
I knew this moment, I'd chosen wrong way to print this woodblock but there is no going back anymore I just had to keep going and hoping some sort of divine power to help me.



Another mistake here, I shouldn't have let it dry a bit. Gampi SHRANK (maybe just wrinkly) as it dried.
So I stopped doing it after this batch.



It may be hard to see in the photo, but actually the surface is very uneven and lumpy.



I do like the idea of chin colle because it can create a subtle tonal difference and richer black in the image but Gampi was not a right choice.
I've actually done this technique for another wood engraving block but used a slightly thicker rice paper. It was a success.
I think that's what I should have used.
I 'll keep trying!
Thank you so much for reading my long whinge...

2 comments:

thehauntedstudiounderthestairs said...

I love the old wood engravings. I have loved since a wee waifer.. I was an avaracious reader and all the children's books, the old ones, all had amazing prints, black and white illustrations and the most amazing Ex Libris...

I must try it some day.
YOU...must try some writing to go with your images. Some stories or poems.

On my blog is a poem that I had just written and was published this month in the Faerie Magazine. Then, if you head to the etsy shop, you see the character of the story

you're brilliant

k

Unknown said...

Thank you Kevin!
Me too, I think i love wood engraving because of its association with books.
I'm trying to do text too, as I'm planning to make artist books. It's never easy for me, I always try hard to be too smart and end up embarrassing myself....