Thursday, 4 February 2010
I had another experiment for this print Fungiland yesterday.
First chin-colle was a total mess (see my post on Friday 29 Jan) so I thought I'd give another chance as I knew what I did wrong. I needed to change 2 things, material and method, in order for it to work.
Material: Gampi rice paper was used, way to thin. This time, I bought a sheet of Iwaki, slightly thicker rice paper.
Method: I watered the rice glue down, this made the Gampi wrinkle / shrink. This time, I used rice glue straight from the tube.
The green tube is the rice glue I use. This was my glue in primary school in Japan, so it's really really cheap, less than 300 yen (about $3.5 AUD). I was very surprised to see this glue being sold at $10 here in Australia! Since then I buy this glue as souvenir for myself whenever I go back to Japan.
After I applied a thin layer of the glue, I immediately placed on my damped printmaking paper.
Then I ran it thought the press with 3 layers of blankets.
??? this is the result......... ??? I don't like it...........
In terms of technique, it worked really well but aesthetically I don't think it works.
The colour of rice paper is too different from the printmaking rag paper.
I tried to reason / justify this print in the beginning. I thought I could say things like it's supposed to be retro hence the colour but NO, I realised it does NOT work.....
So I stopped editioning.
At first I felt like all the effort was a waste but well at least I learnt something here - PRINTS THAT ARE SIMPLY PRINTED WORK THE BEST!!!
I think my very first proof (above and the first photo on top) works a lot better.
I'm always taking detour. Things are actually so simple but I make them all complicated.